Monday, August 29, 2011

Welcome to the MASK Theater Safe Space!

MASK Theater is a group from Montgomery High School in Skillman New Jersey that educates students about teen relationship abuse. We perform skits based on the stories that are shared with us from teens in our community. We also host discussions and interactive activities with our students. This program is all about "By Students, For Students!" No more adults lecturing to us. We want to communicate this important issue in the most relevant, and captivating method possible. 


If you have a story that you want us to use in one of our skits, or just something you want to get off your chest, leave a comment below. We encourage anonymity in these post for YOUR OWN comfort. If you want to talk to one of the MASK administrators more personally, for advice, or just to have someone to talk to, feel free to email us at MASK.Theater@gmail.com or refer to some of the resources we have around our site. 


The community against relationship abuse is tight-knit: No one is alone. 


Peace&Love

MASK Theater 

1 comment:

  1. I was texting my exboyfriend who was then my boyfriend. He was saying how I never cursed and he pressured me into cursing. I was against it, but I didn't want him to break up with me because "I loved him." So, I started to curse. It was a huge turn on for him. He was saying that he wanted to see me right then. It was a school night, so I told him I couldn't. Then he had this "great" idea. He told me to send him a nude picture. I knew that included breaking the law, so I told him no. He kept pleading for me to sext him. I decided to turn off my phone, so he would stop nagging for a nude picture. The next day at school, I purposely didn't bring up what happened. We acted like nothing happened.

    When I went to his house one day, he brought me into the woods and started to kiss me. The he tried to take my bra off. I wasn't comfortable enough to have him see me that way yet, but he took it off anyway. He tried to take off my shirt, but i turned around. Then, he looked down my shirt. He was making me feel really uncomfortable!

    Another day I was at the movies with my friend and him. When it was over, he took me to the back of the movies and pushed my to the ground. He was kissing me. I told him I wanted to go back to my friend because I didn't want her to be all alone. He wouldn't let me go back to her. My friend had a panic attack because there were some drunk kids outside. That night I was crying because my best friend was mad that I left her alone. I was telling my boyfriend about her panic attack and he wasn't helping me. He just said everything was going to be fine.

    With an abusive relationship, the abuser makes sure the victum knows that they are the best in the world. He said that everyone in our one class we were in together that every girl liked him, but he chose me. This sounded sweet to me then, but really it's not something someone should say. He made me feel like I needed him. He said he loved me and I believed him. I did everything I could to stay with him! I feel so stupid looking back at this all!

    At school whenever we passed one of my friends they would say hi and he ekpt saying "Why do you have so many friends?" He made me feel like it was a bad thing that I had friends! Also my self esteem really dropped while I was going out with him. I felt ugly and he made me think that I was never going to have anyone else in my life (love wise).

    I hope you can use some of this! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete